-->

Infinity Ads

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

5 Reasons Why Learning an Musical Instrument is a Good Idea


randomly performing in a "variety show"
during college :-P
I'm not the best singer or player out there but I consider playing guitar as one of my favorite hobbies. My mother bought me a good quality (Valencia) Nylon guitar when I was in 3rd year high school but I started becoming interested in playing when I was around 10 or 11 years old because of a dusty an ancient guitar that has been lying around in our apartment then.

I really think that learning to play an instrument brings a certain kind of joy and depth in my life hadn't I decided to learn otherwise. So here are the top reasons why I think learning to play an instrument is a good idea.

1. You can keep yourself busy with a hobby that you can be proud of
If you learned to play an instrument by yourself, it means that you possess a certain kind of discipline to yourself that no one imposed. It means that you can have something that you can be passionate about something that is actually more productive than video games or social media (ehem! something I need to change!).

2. Learning to play an instrument can be a social function
When you learn how to play an instrument, it can bring people together. Whether people will sing along to the song that you're playing or when they ask you to teach them, it is somewhat a way to knit people together because music is a universal language.

3. Learning to play an instrument can be therapeutic
I noticed that when I'm feeling down or upset, playing the guitar helps brighten up my mood. I also noticed that learning a new song gives me a sense of accomplishment which therefore makes me happy.

4. It gives you a sense of determination
Most musical instruments are relatively difficult to learn at first. I had the most painful blisters and callouses from playing the guitar. I know some piano players who almost give up because they can't seem to play a certain piece right. Drums or even violin can be pretty frustrating too. But I learned that when you get over this hurdle and not give up, it will show that you are capable and you are determined to learn.

5. It helps you appreciate other musicians and music in general
Learning the guitar helped me appreciate the hard work of musicians, composers and people who are in the music industry. It is so difficult for me to play chords with bars on the guitar because of my small fingers, that's why I deeply admire players who can do it with ease. I admire those people who sing well while playing since I find it very difficult to focus on my voice and playing the guitar simultaneously. You will realize that music is a very beautiful and versatile way to reach out to other people and to express yourself.

Hopefully these tips will encourage you to pick up your own "dusty guitar" and discover the joy of playing an instrument like I did. Have fun! :-) Oh, and if you have time, please do visit my Soundcloud page:
http://soundcloud.com/angelinesayoc

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment