-->

Infinity Ads

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Finding Meaning in the Mundane

English: Autumn fallen leaves of Zelkova serra...
English: Autumn fallen leaves of Zelkova serrata 日本語: 枯葉 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Yesterday morning, my mom asked to sweep the leaves that fell from a bucket supposedly tumbled over by our cats. I did not respond right away as I'm not exactly a fan of household chores. It took me a while to finally gather the motivation to go outside, get the dustpan, walis tingting (a outdoor broom, in Filipino) and start gathering the leaves and place them back in the bucket.


Prior to this, my head was in a 'complaining' state. I was thinking that now it's my vacation week, I'd have some me-time and forget some of my responsibilities for a while. As I was sweeping the leaves amidst the overcast weather, the sound of the leaves scraping on the concrete, I felt a sense of peace. I felt a sense of peace because this chore, no matter how small or insignificant as it may seem, is still something done to bring glory to God. He impressed this verse upon me while sweeping:

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

Whatever I do, I must find meaning. Whether it's simply washing the dishes, brushing my teeth, working 9-5, or even boldly going to the ends of the earth for a mission trip--how big or small it is doesn't count. What counts is to Whom am I doing it for. Most of us spend time in our jobs or professions in a grumbling mindset because we forget to realize that our occupations are a blessing. I am sitting in my cubicle for a purpose, singing children's songs and patiently cuing a child to add the final "t" sound in the word "hat". You are sitting on your desk typing away documents due in the afternoon because God allowed you to be there, to bring glory to Him wherever you are. 


I guess I just meant to say that I believe we are living borrowed lives, and the One who gave it deserves to be offered sacrifices--our lives. Living our lives as a sacrifice. So big thing or small thing, let's find meaning in the great and mundane.

I recommend this DVD for people who are trying to understand the meaning of life:

Embracing a Life of Meaning DVD: Kathleen Norris on Discovering What Matters
Best-selling author Kathleen Norris provides a unique viewpoint of “what matters most,” including:
Belief Matters: Why does belief matter? To what do we give our hearts? What is the core message of what we believe—creeds or commitment? To what extent is to believe also “to belove”?
The Bible Matters: The Bible is our collective story. How is that story reflected in our daily lives? What is it about the Bible that always seems to address our present moment?
Community Matters: In community, individualism and imperfection meet grace and acceptance. What is our part in the Body of Christ?
Place Matters: In what ways is faith set within the physical space of home, church, land and people?
We Matter: What it means to remain in God’s image and to counter our selfishness by embracing the world and its needs? (Credit: http://www.amazon.com/)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment